Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to have a mold inspection?
- $200 and up, depending on how many laboratory tests are required.
- Does home owner’s insurance cover any
of the costs?
- Costs associated with mold are sometimes covered by insurance.
You will need to contact your insurance agent for details.
- Can I have a mold problem if my house is only two
- You can have mold even if your house is one day old. Under the
right conditions for mold to grow, it can manifest itself within
24 hours, or the wood used to construct the home may have already
been contaminated with mold.
- Why can't I go directly to remediation of the mold?
- We recommend our mold inspection that includes moisture measurements
of floors, walls, and ceilings--any materials with a high moisture
content can indicate hidden mold growth. Comparison of
air and mold samples can also indicate hidden mold, as well as
kind of mold you are dealing with. We will be happy to discuss
different mold inspection and mold removal options that best fit
your needs and budget.
- How do I know if the mold in my house is toxic
to my family and my pets?
- It is difficult to be absolutely certain. The testing
results from the certified laboratory we use can reveal if the
mold is one that has the potential to produce mycotoxins.
- If I have toxic mold, can I get out of my lease
- You might be able to, but you must consult an attorney who knows
the laws in your state.
- What species of toxic molds are commonly found
- Cladosporium, Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Alternaria--all considered
Stachybotrys, Fusarium, and Trichoderma (also considered toxic),
produce mycotoxins that are easily absorbed
into skin, intestinal lining, airways, and lungs. Other toxic molds
include Coccidioides, Blastomyces, Histoplasma, and Memnoniella.
- Is mold in the animal kingdom or the plant kingdom?
- Neither one. Fungus is its own kingdom.
- How are mushrooms related to mold and mildew?
- Mushrooms are a fungus, like mold and mildew. Some mushrooms are
poisonous to humans. Some are used as psychedelic drugs. Some are
eaten as a delicacy. And some are used for their healing properties.
There is a large variety of molds and mildews as well.